Here comes the Secret Pal 7 Questionnaire:
1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand?
Only somewhat. I love Lion Brand Cotton-Ease and Wool-Ease isn’t bad either but I won’t use Red Heart. I don’t mind acrylic (especially if it makes the yarn washable) but I don’t knit with anything that is 100% acrylic. Also, even though I’m vegan, I use animal fibers. It’s less a political thing and more a dietary thing for me.
2. Do you spin? Crochet? Nope.
3. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in? In some pretty vases that never get used for flowers.
4. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced? I learned first as a little kid but I really got started six years ago. Intermediate to advanced.
5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? Amazon list only has a couple things on it. I’m more of a glutton for my Knit Picks wish list. Email me if you want that. I warn you in advance: it’s long and frivolous.
6. What’s your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.) I can’t say I’m really into scents. I like a lot of things just nothing too overpowering.
7. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy? Sweet tooth, you bet. Unfortunately (well, fortunately for my health, I guess), I’m vegan and don’t eat anything with meat/dairy/eggs. That cuts out a lot of sweets. I’m a sucker for dark chocolate without milk or butter.
8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Knitting is really my only crafty habit.
9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD) Anything but country and metal. I love classic jazz and world music. Yes, I can play mp3s.
10. What’s your favorite color? Or–do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can’t stand? I love blue. There aren’t any colors I dislike but I admit to being the only knitter in blogland that doesn’t like variegated, multi-colored, pooling and self-striping yarns.
11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets? Married with two smelly dogs (see flickr account).
12. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos? Scarves, hats, mittens, no ponchos.
13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? I’m currently going through a Knit Picks phase. I don’t buy expensive yarn- I’m really cheap. I like washable yarns like Dale of Norway Falk, KP Shine, Essential, Cascade 220 Superwash, Lion Brand Cotton-Ease, etc. In addition to being cheap, it appears that I’m also lazy. When it comes to socks and baby knits, I don’t intend to do any hand washing. I readily knit with feltable wool for scarves, mittens, hats, etc.
14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like? 100% acrylic, poofy scarf yarn, self-striping yarn
15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s? I’d have to say either baby sweaters or mittens. Maybe socks. I’m just looking below at old blog posts and that seems to cover it.
16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? It depends on the season, my mood and how cold I am!
17. What are you knitting right now? A blue baby sweater (see picture below).
18. Do you like to receive handmade gifts? Yes!
19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Straight. I know it means sewing (which I dislike), but I like the feel of straight needles better than circs.
20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? Bamboo or any kind of wooden needles.
21. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? Nope.
22. How did you learn to knit? My mom taught me when I was 6 but my little brother taught me when I grew up.
23. How old is your oldest UFO? Oldest UFO that I haven’t abandoned entirely? Probably a year.
24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird? I love dogs and I wish I could adopt ten. I don’t watch TV so I couldn’t name any animated characters.
25. What is your favorite holiday? July 4th because there are lots and lots of fresh tomatoes around then. I could live a happy life with only fresh tomatoes to eat.
26. Is there anything that you collect? Bad habits? No, not much else.
27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have? None. I never buy mags. Occasionally a Phildar one but it’s pretty rare. When I started knitting, I went a little nuts on books and now I’m not really pattern-deficient!
28. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? Not really (see above). I have a pretty decent collection of books and more size 8 needles than I’d care to admit. I’m always game for yarn. 🙂
29. Are there any new techniques you’d like to learn? Steeking. I’m way too scared to actually try it without adult supervision. Maybe in another lifetime. Besides, my fair isle knitting is confined to small projects like mittens, hats and socks.
30. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements? I love socks. I’m sort of a slow sock knitter. I didn’t know what to measure so here are three different spots:
Around lower part of calf: 11″
Around ankle: 8.25″
Length from heel to toe: 8.75″
31. When is your birthday? (mm/dd) 12/03